Sunday 19 February 2012

Challenge 2: Fencing

“Fencing - A game of chess with a blade”

Rule 1: With my Foil and Faceguard.
When taking up this Fencing challenge with Pembroke Fencing Club in Ballsbridge, Dublin 4 I had preconceptions. I had imagined a gathering of aloof Frenchmen waving swords, shouting “En Garde” and quickly dismissing my general cluelessness. Instead I was nicely surprised to meet the very pleasant Olga Velma, my instructor for the night.

My instructor - Olga Velma

Olga is an experienced fencer originally from Estonia, she is a repeated champion and medal winner in the Estonian Epee Championships and has been living and fencing in Ireland for a number of years.

So I was in good hands, alongside a number of other beginners to the sport who had signed up for an introductory course.

Firstly we covered the background to modern fencing...
Fencing is one of only four sports which have been featured at every one of the modern Olympic Games. It’s practiced in three disciplines - The Foil, The Epee and The Saber.

Each one is a unique sword with various associated rules based around the scoring areas that register as a hit on your opponent and the right of way or priority rules which determine who scores the point in the case that both fencers hit at the same time.

Foil: The smallest and lightest of the fencing swords. Touches are scored with the weapon’s point on the torso of the opponent. Foil emphasizes strong defense and fast, precise actions.
 
Epee: The heaviest of the three weapons, the Epee is a descendant of the rapier and has a large bell guard to protect the fencer’s hand. Touches with the epee are scored with the point, anywhere on the opponent's body. Epee technique emphasizes timing, point control, and a good counter-attack.
 
Sabre: Sabres are a cutting and thrusting weapon, derived from calvary swords of the late 19th century. Sabre touches can be scored with the point and the edge anywhere above the opponent's waist. Sabre technique emphasizes speed, feints, and strong offense.


A picture paints a thousand words...

Fencing swords and target areas
A fencing bout takes place on a piste, which is a strip 2 meters wide and 14 meters long. Fencers line up either side of a mid-point at en-garde lines. Retreating off of the strip means a point for the opponent.


Once we had digested that info it was time to learn the stance of a fencer.

As I am right handed I adopted a stance with my right foot and right hand as lead. My feet positioned at a 90° angle, approx shoulder width apart with my front foot pointed directly ahead in the line I was looking to move in. The footwork is similar to that of a boxer, albeit with the lead hand / foot reversed, whereas a boxer will push off his stronger back foot and lead with his weaker hand, in fencing the opposite is true. (Then again a fencer doesn't have two weapons to hit with!)
The fencing stance and thrusting attack
The knees are slightly bent, the body upright to ensure stability and good balance. The front arm is extended, the non-fencing hand is held high behind the body. It wasn’t the most natural of poses but it felt right for the occasion.
 

After practicing our footwork and movements we finally got our hands on a foil to practice some sword work.  


The foil was light and flexible and once it was in my hand my mind was screaming at me to thrust and slash and slay invisible opponents like a great reincarnation of one of the Three Musketeers. Had I been alone with no judging eyes that’s exactly what would have happened, in reality the fear of embarrassment kept me in line with my classmates as we ran through the exercises. We practiced using the edge of the blade, thrusts forward to strike with the point and general control. Clashing foils together I could definitely see the allure of the sport, even at the basic level I was operating at.  


As we wrapped up the session I had worked up a sweat and gained some insight, but I was keen for more. Thankfully I got the opportunity to learn more from Olga and to see real fencers in action. The International class fencers began their session, hooked up to the electronic scoreboards, paired off and ready to duel.
 

The real deal: Yves Carnec (FRA)  V Martin Shields (IRL)
One of the guys I got speaking to was Ido Ajzenstadt, who has represented Israel. Ido was about to compete in a qualifier for London 2012, the top four will qualify – Ido is ranked fifth going into the event …Good luck Ido!! 
To see guys at the top of their game in full flow was amazing. They were demonstrating real agility, strength, and speed, along with cunning. Attacks are sudden and aggressive but very purposeful; there is a real craft to this sport. I heard fencing described as a game of chess with a blade, in other words - a thinking mans knife fight!

One other thing that struck me, they looked great …in earlier times white fencing clothing were worn to show when duelists drew first blood from their opponent and this clothing tradition is carried into modern fencing. There is something very classical about the look. 

In summary I can say fencing is a very fast-paced, challenging, modern sport. By its very nature a dueling sport holds a certain drama and excitement and this is certainly true of fencing. There is an almost romantic quality to it. I will definitely be tuning in for this event in London 2012, hopefully I’ll be seeing a familiar face on the piste in Ido.

Pembroke Fencing Club is based in St Clonleths College, Ballsbridge, Dublin 4. See http://www.pembrokefencing.ie/ for more details. Many thanks to my instructor, Olga Velma, who is available for group or individual lessons for adults or kids.
 
See http://www.irishfencing.net/ for the website of the Irish Fencing Federation, the governing body of the sport in Ireland.

No comments:

Post a Comment